2015/11/16

Bikaner, India

[J.] After the hectic days in Delhi, Bikaner was a relaxing stop for us for two days on our way to Jaisalmer. We stayed in a family guesthouse and spent a lot of time resting, organising the next stays and wandering through the old city (while getting terribly lost in this maze of little streets).
The bazaar streets were not that crowded and most of the vendors did not bother us. We did not visit the rat temple nearby Bikaner where rats are considered holy and bringing luck. Other tourists told us though that this temple appeared strange/weird for them as it is very dirty with rat poo all over and walking across this sacred temple required the shoes to be taken off. Uuurgh! Someone even told us that it is believed to bring luck to eat the food from the floor that the rats left behind and that she saw a woman doing this. While I consider myself being open minded, I am really not too sure about this... ;)
Two experiences stood out for me while being in Bikaner and made the stay there really rewarding:
1) When walking through the old city we passed a tiny little shop of a tailor. I have a scarf with me that I bought in Zambia that needed to be fixed and with hands and signs I asked him if he could help me. He did and when I wanted to pay him he refused to take any money, regardless of how hard I tried. That totally made my day after the Delhi experience where it sometimes feels like everyone is out to rip you off.
2) On our way to Jaisalmer, we met an Indian guy in the train who shared a lot of stories with us about his life. He was on his way back from Bikaner to his home after having spent a day with his sister. And he shared all the sweets he was taking with him with us. Super sweet and super delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment