2016/04/18

(Ice-Cream) Pudding from scratch

[J.] I found a Sunday evening, especially a rainy, miserable and cold Sunday evening, is the perfect time to try a new sweet desert recipe from Edmonds Cookery Book. The recipe featuring this evening is the Ice-Cream Pudding, served chilled.
However, I think this recipe is a basic recipe for a vanilla pudding and best served warm and fresh from the stove instead of chilled. It so reminds me of my childhood, when my grandmother prepared this pudding on a regular basis for my grandfather (who really had a sweet tooth), my sister and me. It is perfect together with any kind of fruit compote or ice cream. My personal favourite is the combination of warm vanilla pudding together with cold cherry compote. Aaaah, these childhood memories are so warming my heart... Grandma, you are the best!

Ingredients for the Ice-Cream Pudding:
50g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 plain flour
1 egg
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Cream butter and sugar until pale. Stir in flour. Lightly beat egg with a fork. Add to creamed mixture.
In a saucepan, mix creamed mixture and milk together. Cook over a low heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Pour into serving dish and chill until set.
Serves 4.

Pudding fresh from the stove!
Notes:
I altered the recipe slightly in the following way:
1) Depending on your personal preference: Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence instead of 1/2
2) Add a pinch of salt
3) Add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice


In the meantime...
1) Exercised my upper arm muscles by beating the mixture with an egg whisk and thinking of how difficult cooking/baking must have been without electricity. Really wished a mixer would be available. But then, this pink whisk so deserves to be used...
2) Pudding disappeared already, straight out of the saucepan and left husband and myself with a full and happy belly. Mmmmh...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome I'm so glad to have finally found the actual old skool Edmunds recipe again, it's been surprisingly hard to find! Considering how boring the ingredients list looks, this is one of the easiest yummiest desserts anyone can make.. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete