2016/04/03

Running...

[J.] We run. Not too regularly, but we run to stay fit during our travels. I think that running is one of the most convenient ways of exercising when travelling. We both have running shoes as our first choice of sturdy shoes for travelling. And there are always a shirt and (beach) shorts available, so no extra running gear needs to go into the suitcase which would add to its weight and volume.

We figured though that running trails are a bit depending on the country itself. We tried to run while being in India, but it was generally hot even in the early morning. However, it were the stray dogs that made us stop running in the Indian cities, cause dogs are simply not used to runners. They tolerate noise, packed places of people, bikes and what else, but runners? Not so much, as they are simply not used to people running past them quickly, so they started chasing us instead - which made us abandon our running idea fairly quickly. :)
Running in Taipei was fairly easy; the city offers great trails and stray dogs are not such a big problem; we just walked past them when we met them occasionally.
However, running in New Zealand was the easiest so far and is basically possible everywhere you go. The country is THE country for doing outdoor sports and sometimes, we squeezed some runs in while actually being on the way to special sights or must-see areas. We were running along the most stunning lonely beaches, running up the trail to the Fox Glacier (which was pretty steep in the end, so before admiring the glacier itself, we both had to catch our breaths for some moments). In Wanaka, we planned to walk along the Mount Iron loop, from which one has a wonderful view onto the town, lakes and surrounding mountains; however, we made this walk a run exercise instead.

While living in Johannesburg, South Africa, we often joined the park runs (www.parkrun.com), which are free 5k runs every Saturday morning at 8am. I really like these runs as it is open for everyone and every fitness level and it is generally both, a good challenge and motivation for those runners who are seeking personal best times as well as a very social event. Often, I met with friends and we all had our dogs running with us. I have also often seen whole families joining with mom/dad running together with their junior while dad/mom is walking at the back of the crowed with the baby and chatting to friends. Some just joined for a power walk or for a 5k walk with their dogs to give all a good weekend exercise.
Being in Christchurch on a Saturday morning as well, we joined its park run along the Hagley Park. And although we really enjoyed the run, I noticed that the vibe was so different to what I was used to in South Africa. Before the actual start of the run, there was a guy giving a 10 minute speech about how one has to run a lot of miles a week when one wants to become a marathon runner and that even 100m Olympic medallist sprinters run for 100miles a week so on and so on. I don't know who is was but it seemed that he trains runners and was running himself a lot in the past (and maybe still is). And then, when the run actually started, I was surprised how fast everyone was running. Not that I am a really good runner, but when I turned around at some point I noticed that almost all runners were in front of me! Husband had a somewhat similar impression during his run. I ran a personal best that Saturday in Christchurch, but in the end I only finished in the last third of all participants. It did not really matter to me, cause I was all joy about my time anyway. However, would I think of joining such a park run as a beginner, I think I would easily become unmotivated when close to everyone is just bolting off like a lightning in front of me leaving me running all alone at the end of the field... But maybe that is just me. And it was interesting to see how such a run can become such a competitive event instead of a social event although the idea behind those runs are all the same.

In the meantime...
1) I am writing this post during our last hours in New Zealand. I am so glad, we decided to come here and were able to see all these amazing landscapes and meet all its so friendly and helpful citizens. We had a blast driving around this country and I will really miss this Kiwi-Land!
2) Finally about to arrive in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Cannot wait! And it's so funny, this time difference thing: leaving New Zealand on Sunday afternoon and arriving in Buenos Aires, well... on Sunday afternoon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment